A perfect week in Calvi : Tours and activities
In summer the Villas Mandarine are rented for a one-week minimum stay, with arrival on saturday and sunday. We have therefore concocted a program day by day to enhance your holiday. First time or real fans of the island of beauty, this post is for you !
- Sunday : Let's start your stay by visiting Calvi, all the details are in our previous post: "24h to discover the best of Calvi"
- Monday : « The craftsmen's road of Balagne » : Meet and greet these women and these men who make the Balagne a human and authentic region. Embark aboard your vehicle and discover the winding roads of our beautiful region, known for the diversity and quality of its craftsmen. Following the so-called "artisans' road", you will drive from villages to villages to meet jewelers, cutlers, potters ... and driving through the most beautiful panoramas of Balagne.
The Mandarin touch: Awaken your senses by adding to your day gourmet stops with the beekeepers, Corsican biscuit makers, olive grower and in moderation with the winegrowers !
Pigna, Sant'Antonino, Calenzana, Zilia, Corbara ... will not hide any more secrets for you and one comes to wonder, a glass or a cake in the hand, to the sound of the pirula1 and the cetera², if it is the object that interests us or whoever did it ...
For wine lovers, we recommend an afternoon or end of the day for a sensory visit to the Domaine Alzipratu (subject to availability). Either stop tasting local products at Domaine Orsini and shop locally.
1 Pirula: Reed Flute, traditional instrument once used by Corsican shepherds. 2 Cetera: Corsican variant of the cistre, it is a traditional instrument with plucked strings.
- Tuesday :The sea is calling : Calvi is an ideal strategic geographical point on the west coast to visit both the north of the island and the famous white sandy beaches of the Agriates desert; and both the west coast and the Scandola Nature Reserve, a land and marine area listed as UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Several possibilities to visit these two sites :
1) We can organize from Calvi, a private outing with the professional boats and skippers of our friends CNC and Tra Mare e Monti or join a multi-out with Calvi Evasionor the even larger groups of Colombo Line (among others).
2) To shorten the 4-8 hours ride, or with young children, we advise to share the experience with the road :
- To the Reserve: from Galeria, a small fishing village (we shorten the navigation time to the area, but we add a drive to Galeria about 40 minutes from your Villa) with the company Galeria Marina which offers 2 and 4 hours trips. Ideal to do in the morning, you can then enjoy a delicious lunch at "La Cabane du Pêcheur" directly on the beach of Galeria and enjoy the afternoon discovering the Manso Valley and the famous Fango River: crystal clear freshwater with not too deep holes, ideal for a swim at any ages, through the rocks polished by time, and which spreads from the wild delta to the feet of the Corsican peaks. This delta with its special fauna and flora can be visited by canoe and kayak.
- To the beaches of Saleccia and Lotu by driving to St Florent (1h30) then taking the boat shuttles Popeye (trips to be booked in advance in peak season).
- Wednesday : Sports day ! Start an energetic morning with a course of yoga on a paddle with U Zen Sciallà, feel your body on the board facing the mountains.
At the reception, we lend electric bicycles to discover the surroundings. We also have specialized topographic maps on coastal hikes, in the forest and / or in the mountains. We will propose a hike / a walk adapted to your everyone’s level.
Some circuits not to be missed: the Revelatta peninsula at the southern exit of Calvi to the lighthouse of the Underwater and Oceanographic Research Station with bathing stops; the village of Occi from Lumio, at sunset (bring the apero 😉); hikes under the shade of the giant pines of the Bonifato forest. Balagne Montagne Aventure offers activities in this same forest: canyoning, climbing ... For the most athletic, climb up to the Austrian Cross, which rises to 763m and dominates the bay of Calvi.
YABA Bike organizes bicycle and mountain bike tours and takes care of the organization of your day: let yourself be guided !
We also invite you to discover or rediscover scuba diving and the Mediterranean underwater wonders.
You’ll understand, these are a sample of the many activities possible at any time of the day.
- Thursday : Take a bird's view. Let yourself be guided by professionals who will take you to discover the mountains and plains shaped by these men and women with strong character. Discover the desert of the Agriates or the plain of Marsulinu and its sheep and goat shepherds. Board the air-conditioned minivans of Bianconi Scuperta and let yourself be immersed by the captivating words of Olivier and his colleagues. Or embark on comfortable Natura Corsa SUVs for a sportier excursion with Cédric and his "girl gang".
Flirt with the clouds and the altitude with one of the planes or helicopters of José Vittori, which will take you to discover our beautiful island from the sky and you will understand why the Greeks called it Kallistê "the most beautiful".
- Friday Bathing day : Enjoy this day to discover the Corsican rivers. In a sporty way by booking an activity (canyoning, via ferrata by Balagne Mountain Adventure or In Terra Corsa) or at your own pace parasols / swimsuit / picnic atmosphere. Galeria and the Fango River, a biosphere reserve, classified as a remarkable Natura 2000 site, take you to the discovery of crystal-clear water holes suitable for swimming, through the rocks polished by Time, and stretching from the wild delta at the foot of the Corsican mountains. Closer to Calvi, refresh yourself in the water holes of the river Figarella which descends from the mountains and the forest of Bonifatu, one of the green lungs of Balagne, crossed by multiple hiking trails. Above the villages of Balagne, dive into the valleys of Ghjunsani and the forest of Tartagine Melaja crossed by an eponymous stream. Because of its diversity both floristic and faunistic, the forest was considered a hunting and gathering reserve and is now ranked remarkable by the Natura 2000 Euro program.
We advise you to bring a snack to enjoy the place at its best, or to eat at one of the restaurants along the way (the Cabane du Pêcheur in Galeria, the auberge de la forêt in Bonifatu, A Tornadia in the forest of Tartagine). We have coolers at the reception for any of your lunch outside (boat trip ...) and water sealed bags for the beach.
And to finish the day, dive one last time in the Bay of Calvi before returning to the confort of your Villa.
- Saturday :Relaxing day at the Spa
If your flight is during the day, we can keep your luggage so that you can enjoy the beach or the region for one last time. You can also enjoy a last day of relaxation at the Domaine's spa, sauna, steam room, bubble bath, treatments or massages to finish your holiday in peace.
As you can see, this holiday week will pass quickly if you follow this program, given as a guide and to be organized according to the weather and the desires of each and every one of the party. We selected here a set of partners, but of course, our Balagne and its surrounding areas are full of other good addresses that we will be happy to share with you. Do not hesitate to drop by the reception to personalize together your stay.